20 Homeopathic Remedies That Every Home Should Not Be Without
If you are interested in trying out homeopathy for your family, I recommend the twenty remedies listed below as an excellent start for your home remedy kit. The 30c potency is the probably the best all-purpose potency to buy initially. You can find all of these remedies in any health food store. Many online homeopathic pharmacies also offer cost-effective starter kits. Visit the web site of the National Center for Homeopathy (NCH)— www.nationalcenterforhomeopathy.org—for a list of pharmacies and other homeopathic resources. By joining the NCH, you will also have online and print access to its invaluable magazine, Homeopathy Today, which includes countless articles loaded with self-treatment tips. The NCH website also includes complete information about each of these remedies in its “Remedies & Symptoms Database” (accessible to members only). The following books also provide excellent guidance as you get started in your homeopathic journey:
Self Help (How-To).
- The Complete Homeopathy Handbook, by Miranda Castro.
- Homeopathy: An A to Z Home Handbook, by Alan Schmukler.
- Everybody’s Guide to Homeopathic Medicines, by Stephen Cummings and Dana Ullman.
- Impossible Cure: The Promise of Homeopathy, by Amy Lansky. Best-selling general introduction to homeopathy that includes history, philosophy, how to prepare for appointments, what to expect from treatment, scientific studies, and dozens of first-person testimonials from around the world.
For each remedy listed below, I have given brief, general indications for use. I recommend consulting one of the Self-Help books listed above, or other articles and information provided on the NCH site, for more complete information. Also please note that any homeopathic remedy can be used in a wide array of contexts. Thus, a useful acute remedy like Aconite can have broader constitutional use for a wide variety of diseases; or a broad constitutional remedy like Sulphur can be useful in an acute situation. Learning a little homeopathy can go a long way and the more you study, the more skilled you will become! However, the best homeopathic treatment is usually found under the guidance of a trained homeopath.
First Aid Remedies
(1) Arnica. Number one remedy for accidents, shock, injuries, and bruising. Patient has a fear of being touched and may say they are “all right” when they clearly are not. Other applications include pain after dental work and jet lag.
(2) Calendula. Number one remedy for healing wounds. Useful as a topical cream in low potency. Quickly seals wounds, so make sure wound is completely clean before use.
(3) Hypericum. Number one remedy for injuries to nerves. Pains are sharp and shooting. Useful for pain after dental injection.
(4) Apis. Number one remedy for bites and stings. Helps with redness, pain, and swelling.
(5) Ledum. Number one remedy for puncture wounds. Also useful for animal and insect bites. Along with Hypericum, a useful remedy for tetanus. An important remedy for Lyme disease. Pain is better from cold application, worse from heat.
Remedies for Specific Situations and Acute Illnesses
(6) Kali-bichromicum. Number one remedy for sinus infections.
(7) Chamomilla. Number one remedy for teething.
(8) Ignatia. Number one remedy for acute grief or emotional shock.
(9) Belladonna. Number one remedy for high fever.
(10) Aconite. Number one remedy for nipping a cold in the bud, especially if onset is precipitated by a cold, dry wind, or a fright or shock. Useful when illness comes on very suddenly.
(11) Gelsemium. Number one remedy for the flu. Extreme prostration and weakness, shivering up and down the spine, trembling, aching muscles, heaviness of head and eyes.
(12) Eupatorium. Another important flu remedy, especially if characterized by extreme aching in the bones, as if they were broken.
(13) Arsenicum Album. Number one remedy for food poisoning. Also useful for the flu. Patient is anxious and restless and does not want to be left alone. Fear of death. Worse between midnight and 3am. Thirst for frequent sips of water.
Common Remedies for General Constitutional Use
In addition to the above remedies, the following commonly used remedies have frequent application to many illnesses and chronic conditions.
(14) Pulsatilla. Number one remedy for childhood ear infections. Patients are clingy and tearful, are thirstless, feel better when outside, and tend to have thick yellow-green discharges. Can be a useful remedy for stomach upset after eating fatty foods.
(15) Nux-Vomica. Number one remedy for hangovers and overindulgence in food. Patients tend to be ambitious, angry, tense, and irritable. Sensitive to light and noise. Like to be warm in bed.
(16) Natrum-Muriaticum. Number one remedy for cold sores. Patients tend to be closed and sensitive. Silent grief. Craves salt.
(17) Sulphur. An important remedy for itchy skin problems that are worse from warmth. Patients tend to be warm-blooded, and like to kick the covers off in bed. Hungry at 11am. Loves sweet and spicy foods. Intellectual or philosophically-minded individuals.
(18) Lycopodium. The insecure bully. Anxious and lacking in self-confidence, but can be aggressive toward others. Fearful when trying to do something new. Complaints tend to be right-sided. Flatulence and bloating. Worse from 4-8pm.
(19) Lachesis. An important remedy for left-sided tonsillitis. Patients are talkative and amusing, but also suspicious and jealous. An important woman’s remedy, especially around menopause. Left-sided complaints. Craving for alcohol.
(20) Phosphorus. An important remedy for tickling coughs, worse from laughing and speaking. Patients are bubbly and outgoing, but with poor boundaries. Fearful and anxious. Fear of thunderstorms. Thirsty.
By Amy L. Lansky, PhD
(For more information about homeopathy, visit www.impossiblecure.com.)
Ash February 20, 2016 at 12:56 am
What is the remedy for warts
Tina February 24, 2016 at 10:23 am
Hello! Thank you so much for your question. In Homeopathy we match the ‘person’ to the remedy, not necessarily the ailment.
So, there are literally hundreds of Homeopathic remedies that can be used to treat warts; or that list warts as a symptom.
There are different kinds of warts. So things like the type of wart, the location of the warts, whether there is pain or bleeding, etc.. all go into choosing the correct Homeopath remedy for YOUR warts.
The key is finding the correct Homeopathic remedy that matches you in every way; mentally, emotionally as well as well as physically.
There is no ‘one’ Homeopathic remedy ‘for warts.’
Please let me know if you would like to have your case taken. I work with clients all over the country by phone with photo, Skype, FaceTime, etc.
Feel free to give me a call if you have any more questions!
20 Homeopathic remedies that every home should have - Homeopathy Plus March 15, 2017 at 4:41 pm
[…] More Information: 20 Homeopathic Remedies That Every Home Should Not Be Without […]
Tulip March 22, 2017 at 2:43 pm
I suffer from palmar and plantar hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) and have been trying to cure it – unsuccessfully. Is there a homeopathic treatment for this?
Tina April 12, 2017 at 1:49 pm
Hello and thank you for your inquiry!
Yes, Homeopathy can help your condition. Since this is a chronic issue, (rather than “acute”- cold, flu, etc..) the best course of treatment will be Constitutional in nature. This means that the one single-remedy that will help your plantar and palmar hyperhidrosis, is also the remedy that matches you in every way. Homeopathy is highly individualized. This means that your condition is best served by having a thorough case taking, by a qualified Classical Homeopath, in which any and all of your other symptoms are taken into account, as well as your nature, and personality.
Please let me know if you would like to set up a free 20-minute phone consultation to talk more about Homeopathy, how it works, and whether this sounds like a good option for you. This is also a good time for me to answer any questions that you may have about myself and my practice.
Whether you choose myself or some other Classical Homeopath, I believe that there is a lot of hope for your condition.
Wishing you the best!
Satyajit godbole June 20, 2017 at 9:44 am
Hello! Had suffered a sudden hearing loss got it back due to steroids. But now I have tinnitus any medicine for that?
Tina June 28, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Yes, Homeopathy can help tinnitus. This would be considered a Constitutional Case, since it is a chronic condition. This requires a full case intake by a professional Classical Homeopath. In other words, there is no ‘one remedy’ for tinnitus.
Please let me know if I can be of any further help!
Giancarla Antunelli June 28, 2017 at 7:08 am
Any kind of homeopathic for deep depression?
Tina June 28, 2017 at 12:23 pm
Yes, this is where Homeopathy really shines!
It is a great alternative and or compliment to other treatment modalities. In other words, Homeopathy can be started with any prescription medications and the need for pharmaceuticals may diminish over time, if you desire to come off of them. I would work closely with you and your doctor on this. Depression is definitely a Constitutional Case, so it will require a deep intake.
Homeopathy is gentle and effective!
There is much hope!
Please let me know how I can help.
Linda Venditti January 18, 2021 at 7:39 am
Thank you. Very helpful